From support groups for pregnant women and new mothers to healthy cooking classes, and from an after-school homework club to ESL classes, Palisades Family Success Center is a one-stop social services agency committed to helping the people of Union City.
Located at 1408 New York Avenue, the Center offers a broad range of free programs to serve young children, teens and parents/guardians, and which partners with our Board of Education.
“We are a community resource center that provides a wide range of services, and if we do not provide a specific service, we can refer people to agencies that do provide that service,” explains Christian Mejia, Volunteer & Community Partnership Coordinator for the Center.
The Center is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and is staffed with volunteers and professionals ready to help people.
“We refer a lot of families, children and parents, to the Center because we know the people there care about our community,” says Director of Community Mercedes Joaquin.
Here is a breakdown of the many services and programs offered at the Center:
- Family Cooking Classes: Families prepare healthy and fun meals with a registered Dietician from ShopRite.
- English As A Second Language classes
- Crochet & Coffee: Have coffee and learn to crochet with Sonia Henriquez as she empowers other women by teaching them new skills and crafts.
- Homework Club: Children in the 1st through 8th grades receive help with homework. Snacks are provided and registration is mandatory.
- FSO Special Angels Group: For parents/guardians of children with special needs. This group aims to enhance awareness and educate people about the system of care and the availability of resources in the community.
- Creative Corner: A fun learning experience ideal for children 6 to 12 years of age.
- Pop Up Store Demo Tour: This workshop teaches participants how to shop at the market on a budget and choose healthy foods.
- FSO Youth Group: Youth Partnership of Hudson County is a peer-to-peer support and advocacy group for youth ages 13 to 21.
- Active Parenting: A workshop to show you the techniques needed to achieve success in school, as well as positive techniques of discipline and communication.
- Hope for Mothers: A free group in Spanish for pregnant women and mothers with newborns up to one year of age that covers such topics as emotional well-being after delivery, support from family, friends and the community. Gifts, support and important information about parenting will be given.
- Resume & Job Application Workshops: Learn how to polish your resume and apply for jobs.
- Zuma classes: Get and stay in shape and have some fun with Zuma classes.
For more information on the Center, or to volunteer, please call (201) 758-8792.